March 15, 2014
Sunday Probable Pitchers
UTA - Zach Thompson (1-2, 5.66) vs. Texas State - Lucas Humpal (1-0, 4.01)
SAN MARCOS, Texas - Texas State completed a comeback with a walk-off homer in the 11th inning to beat UT Arlington 7-5 on Saturday at Bobcat Ballpark in Sun Belt Conference play.
The Mavericks (5-13, 0-2 SBC) fell to the Bobcats (12-6, 2-0) for the second time in the series. The teams meet on Sunday at 1 p.m. to conclude the three-game set.
"It was a very tough loss today," UT Arlington coach Darin Thomas said. "It was one we should have had. We need to get one tomorrow."
UTA led 5-2 going into the bottom of the seventh before Texas State began its rally. The Bobcats scored two in the inning and, after a throwing error by Darien McLemore, tied the game in the ninth with a sacrifice fly with one out.
Granger Studdard stepped to the plate to follow a two-out hit by David Paiz in the 11th. Studdard sent the first offering by Jacob Moreland (0-1) over the right-field wall.
Brad Vachon pitched into the seventh and left with a 5-4 lead, picking up a no-decision in his sixth start of the season. Vachon tied a season high with seven strikeouts throughout 6.2 innings pitched. He finished with four earned runs.
Greg McCall provided the Mavericks with their early spark of offense. McCall picked up a RBI in back-to-back plate appearances with hits throughout each side of the infield. McCall singled through the left in the first to score McLemore and through the right in the third to bring home Matt Shortall.
Following a two-run fourth from Texas State, Justin Copeland knocked his first-career homer to reply in the fifth. Copeland's shot off the right-field scoreboard began a series of three innings in which the Mavs would add a run.
- DH Matt Shortall hit a single in the first to reach safely for his 18th consecutive game of the season.
- C Greg McCall singled in the first to extend his reach-safely streak to 15 games.
- RF Justin Copeland extended his team-high hitting streak to six games with a homer in the fifth.
- P Brad Vachon tied a season high with seven strikeouts to match a performance vs. No. 12 TCU on Feb. 25.
- UTA fell to 1-2 in extra-inning games this season. Its last win in extras came in 19 innings against McNeese State on Feb. 22.
BSB: Hollie Named to CPL Select Squad
BSB: Kadon Simmons Inks with Brewers
BSB: Brady Cox Tabbed by Royals in MLB Draft
BSB: Hernandez Selected by Phillies in 2017 MLB Draft
BSB: Austin Gardner Picked by Yankees in MLB Draft
BSB: Will Olson Named Academic All-America