March 26, 2010
NATCHITOCHES, La. - Jason Mitchell threw his second consecutive complete game and Michael Choice hit his conference-leading ninth home run of the season going 2-for-3 with two runs scored to lead UT Arlington to a 3-1 victory over Northwestern State Friday night at Brown-Stroud Field in a game that lasted only two hours and eight minutes.
The Mavericks (11-11, 4-3 SLC) pick up their fourth straight win, including their third in a row on the road while the Demons (15-5, 3-3 SLC) drop just their second game at home this season. UT Arlington has now won six of its last seven games overall.
Mitchell, who tossed his first complete game of the season last weekend at UTSA, scattered five hits allowing just one run with six strikeouts and two walks allowed.
Mitchell cruised through the early to mid innings pitching to the minimum 12 batters from the second to fifth inning. He logged only 59 pitched through five innings. The Mavericks also helped Mitchell by turning three double plays.
Choice scored the game's first run with a towering solo home run to right field in the fourth inning. He also came around to score the Mavs' third run of the game in the eighth inning on designated hitter Steffan Guest's RBI double to right field. Choice led off the inning with a single up the middle.
Guest also finished with multi-hits going 2-for-4. He drove in two of the Mavs' three runs in the game also scoring Jordan Vaughn with an RBI single up the middle in the sixth.
Two Maverick hit streaks were altered Friday as Jordan Vaughn's career-high 12-game hit streak came to an end going 0-for-3 and catcher Chad Comer improved his career-high hit streak to 11 games going 1-for-4. Comer hit a single up the middle in the fourth inning.
Northwestern State's Luke Irvine (3-1) was saddled with his first loss of the season despite striking out 11 batters in 6.0 innings pitched.
- UT Arlington improves to 39-38 all-time against Northwestern State with a 17-18 record in Natchitoches, La... it's the Mavs fifth straight win over the Demons and second consecutive win at Brown-Stroud Field.
- Mavericks improve to 3-4 on the road this season while the Demons drop to 10-2 at home... UTA improves its winning streak to a season best four games and has now won three straight in league play (all on the road)...
- UTA is 9-3 when its starter pitches at least five innings... Mavericks are 6-3 playing in night games... Mavs are 4-2 playing on Friday night and improve to 9-7 in the month of March... it was the Mavericks first game in the state of Louisiana this season... UTA will play its next eight conference road games in the state of Louisiana... UTA improved to 7-5 in games that have a game-time temperature of 60-69 degrees (69 degrees Friday night.).
- UTA has at least one extra-base hit in every game this season (double, home run on Friday)... Mavericks have hit 10 doubles in their last three games... Mavericks have also recorded at least one walk in every game this season and now have 87 on the season (3 on Friday).
- Friday marked just the third time this season the Mavs' pitching staff had allowed five or less hits... two of the three occasions have come with Jason Mitchell as the Mavs' starting pitcher (Mark Picca vs. Oklahoma Christian, 2 hits)... UTA's pitching staff has allowed only three extra-base hits in the past four games.
- Mavericks turned double plays in the first, third and fourth innings marking the most double plays turned this season... the last time the Mavericks turned three double plays in a game was last season against Central Arkansas (4/19/09) in an 11-10 win in 10 innings.
- Mavericks are now 4-2 in starts by Jason Mitchell... Mitchell has pitched at least 7.0 innings in five of his six starts this season... Mitchell became the first Maverick since Dillon Gee in 2007 to throw back-to-back complete games... Gee tossed consecutive complete games against Illinois (3/10/07) and Lamar (3/17/07).
- Michael Choice improved his hit streak to eight games where he is batting .500 (15-for-30) with 13 runs scored, one double, four home runs, four stolen bases, eight walks and nine RBI... Choice owns a .605 on-base percentage and .933 slugging clip during his eight-game hit streak.
- Michael Choice has now reached base safely in 34 consecutive games dating back to last season... Choice has now reached base safely in 11 of his last 13 plate appearances (6 walks, 3 singles, 2 home runs)... Choice recorded his fourth go-ahead RBI of the season with his solo home run in the fourth frame.
- Michael Choice moved into a tie with Craig Martin (1998-2001) for second place on the UTA all-time career home run list with 27 home runs... Choice now trails career-leader Matt Mize (31, 1998-99) by four homers.
BSB: Rohrbaugh Inks Independent League Deal
BSB: Four Mavericks Begin Professional Careers
BSB: Mavs vs. Baylor at Globe Life Set for 2018
BSB: Christian Hollie Tabbed CPL All-Star
BSB: Colby Price Named First-Team All-America
BSB: Hollie Named to CPL Select Squad