Feb. 26, 2009
UT Pan American Al Ogletree Classic Game Notes
ARLINGTON, Texas -
WELCOME TO EDINBURG, TEXAS
- UT Arlington will continue playing on the road when they travel to Edinburg, Texas, where they will compete in the Al Ogletree Classic which is hosted by UT Pan American. The Mavericks will open play on Friday, Feb. 27, against Southland foe Stephen F. Austin with first pitch scheduled for 3 p.m. The Mavs will then take on host UTPA on Saturday at 3 p.m. UT Arlington will face Illinois (9 a.m.) in its final game on Sunday before departing for Arlington.
AL OGLETREE CLASSIC SCHEDULE
Friday, February 27
UT Arlington vs. Stephen F. Austin 3:00 p.m.
Illinois vs. UT Pan American 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, February 28
Stephen F. Austin vs. Illinois 3:00 p.m.
UT Arlington vs. UT Pan American 7:00 p.m.
Sunday, March 1
Illinois vs. UT Arlington 9:00 a.m./10:00 a.m.
Stephen F. Austin vs. UT Pan American 3:00 p.m.
- Home team listed second
- All games will be played at Edinburg Baseball Stadium (1,800)
- Edinburg Baseball Field Dimensions: 325 LF - 405 CF - 325 RF
Overall Record 3-2
Team Batting Average/ERA/Fielding % .330/3.15/.965
Lettermen Returning/Lost 27/6
Head Coach Darin Thomas
Career Record (Yrs.) 29-33 (2)
STEPHEN F. AUSTIN
Overall Record 1-3
Team Batting Average/ERA/Fielding % .301/7.60/.944
Lettermen Returning/Lost 18/13
Head Coach Johnny Cardenas
Career Record (Yrs.) 1-3 (1)
UT PAN AMERICAN
Overall Record 0-4
Team Batting Average/ERA/Fielding % .213/8.18/.986
Lettermen Returning/Lost 17/13
Head Coach Manny Mantrana
Career Record (Yrs.) 0-4 (1)
Overall Record 2-1
Team Batting Average/ERA/Fielding % .318/4.85/.938
Lettermen Returning/Lost 20/6
Head Coach Dan Hartleb
Career Record (Yrs.) 93-82 (4)
Day Pitcher Cl. W-L ERA K/BB
Fri. Rett Varner (RHP) So. 1-0 0.00 5/2
Sat. Nathan Long (RHP) Sr. 0-1 6.75 5/1
Day Pitcher Cl. W-L ERA K/BB
Fri. Erik Gregersen (RHP), SFA Sr. 0-0 3.60 5/2
Sat. Nathan Molina (RHP), UTPA Sr. 0-1 31.50 1/1
Sun. Ben Reeser (RHP), Ill. Sr. 0-0 6.00 2/1
INSIDE THE SERIES
UT Arlington vs. Stephen F. Austin
- UT Arlington holds a 25-11 lead in the all-time series against the Lumberjacks. This weekend's meeting will mark the first ever game against SFA on a neutral field. Since SFA brough baseball back in 2006 (program was shut down from 1996-2005), the Mavs lead the series, 5-4. Last season SFA won the conference series 2-1 on its home field in Nacogdoches.
UT Arlington vs. UT Pan American
- The UTPA Broncs lead the all-time series 25-19 against the Mavericks. UT Arlington has won five in a row since 2005. The Mavs have struggled playing the Broncs in Edinburg with a 2-18 record on the road. Much of the Broncs' success against the Mavericks came early in the series winning the first 16 meetings between 1974-1979.
UT Arlington vs. Illinois
- The Mavericks have hosted the Fighting Illini for two series over the past several years. Illinois took two of three from UTA in March, 2005, and then it was the Mavs who swept Illinois in March, 2007. All six of the games were played at Clay Gould Ballpark in Arlington.
JUST ABOUT MADE IT 22
- UT Arlington was one out away from recording its 22nd victory over a top 10-nationally ranked opponent when it fell 4-3 against Texas on Tuesday, Feb. 24. Out of the Mavs 21 victories against top 10 teams, eight have come against the Longhorns. (see page 6 for a detailed listing of all victories over top 10 opponents).
CHOICE NAMED SLC HITTER OF THE WEEK
- Mavericks center fielder Michael Choice was named the Southland Conference Hitter of the Week after the first week of the season on Feb. 24. Choice started the season batting .529 (9-for-17) with a double, triple, home run and nine RBI to help the Mavs go 3-1. Choice went 1-for-3 on Opening Day with a three-run home run that helped the Mavs rally to a 5-4 victory over Arkansas State. In the final game of the week, Choice led all players going 4-for-5 with four RBI against Siena.
A WORKING COMBINATION
- In three games this season, the Mavericks' lineup has featured Preston McCoy leading off, Tim Steggall batting second and Michael Choice batting third. Overall, Steggall and McCoy have scored 10 runs combined, with seven of their runs coming when Choice drives them in. Choice is the team leader with 12 RBI.
IN THE CLUTCH
- Through five games, UT Arlington has 37 RBI - with 21 RBI coming with two outs. Recently Michael Choice added to the Mavs' total with a solo home run against Texas in the top of the 10th inning. Choice leads UT Arlington with seven two-out RBI. Overall, the Mavericks are batting .375 (24-for-64) with two outs.
REVERSING THE TREND
- As strong as the Maverick hitters have been hitting with two outs, the Maverick pitchers have been equally strong pitching with two outs. In 52 at-bats, Maverick pitchers are allowing opponents to bat just .173 (9-for-52) with two outs.
BRING IN THE LEFTY!
- UT Arlington is currently batting .402 against left-handed pitching while going 33-for-82 in five games this season. Seven UT Arlington batters are hitting above .350 against south paws, led by Michael Choice who is 7-for-10 against left-handers this season.
SLOW STARTERS, FAST FINISHERS
- In their two losses this season, the Mavericks have scored only two runs in the first seven innings. But they have made comebacks in both losses scoring a combined seven runs in the eighth, ninth and extra innings.
MAVERICKS vs. BIG TEN IS A SUCCESSFUL MIX
- UT Arlington has a 13-7 all-time record against teams from the Big Ten. The Mavericks are 4-2 against Illinois, 2-1 against Indiana, 1-2 against Iowa, 1-1 against Michigan State, 1-0 against Minnesota and 4-1 against Northwestern. The Mavs will also put their Big Ten winning record on the line this year when they face Minnesota for a two-game series.
STARTING/CLOSING ROLES PLACES SAUTER ON TOP
- Andy Sauter made his first appearance of the season out of the Mavericks bullpen, tossing three-scoreless innings to record a save on Opening Day against Arkansas State. He then pitched 6.0 innings and struck out eight batters in his first start of the season against Texas. Currently Sauter's efforts have placed him at the top of the strikeouts list in the SLC with 11.
CHOICE TURNS IT ON AGAINST ELITE COMPETITION
- After a 2-for-5 performance with a double, home run and three RBI against No. 4 Texas, sophomore Michael Choice is now batting .451 (14-for-31) with four doubles, three home runs and 11 RBI against Big 12 opponents in seven games during his brief career.
THE HITS JUST KEEP ON COMIN'
- UT Arlington has been consistent at the plate this season with 61 hits in five games (12.2 hits per game). Their hits total ranks them second in the Southland Conference (UTSA - 64). The Mavs have had at least eight hits in every game this season.
GET EM' IN - THEN HOLD EM'
- Despite a 3-2 record, the Mavericks have dominated the runs column with 39 runs this season while allowing only 17. Part of the reason the Mavericks have kept their opponents from scoring is because of their pitching and defense. Currently the Mavs are in second in the SLC with a 3.15 ERA. The Mavericks' pitchers are allowing opposing hitters a .234 batting average. The Maverick defense is currently tied for the lead in the SLC having turned five double plays, including three straight in the 7th-9th innings against Texas.
UTA TAKES SECOND PLACE AT UTA/HILTON INVITE
- The Mavericks opened their 2009 season going 3-1 at the 16th Annual UTA/Hilton Invitational at Clay Gould Ballpark. UT Arlington defeated Arkansas State and Siena twice. UTA is now 27-21 all-time in the tournament while winning or sharing tournament titles in 1994, 1996, 1999, 2001, 2002 and 2006.
NOW THAT IS SWINGING IT
- UT Arlington recorded a .361 batting average in four games at the UTA/Hilton Invitational, marking the highest team average in the tournament. The Mavericks tallied 36 runs in four games, including 13 runs in their third game against Siena and 12 runs against Siena in the invitational finale.
SHUTTING OUT THE COMPETITION
- The Mavericks notched their second shutout in the UTA/Hilton Invitational in 16th years of play with a 13-0 victory over Siena on Saturday evening. The Mavs had only one in their previous 15 UTA/Hilton Invites (2002, UTA 2-Air Force 0).
- In the final two games of the UTA/Hilton Invitational, Maverick pitchers combined to throw 18 innings while allowing seven hits, one run and four walks with 15 strikeouts. During those two games, Siena batted just .120 against Maverick pitchers.
MAVERICKS PICKED 6TH IN THE SLC
- Southland Conference head coaches and sports information directors have picked the UT Arlington Mavericks to finish in sixth place in the Southland Conference in 2009.
CHOICE NAMED TO SLC PRESEASON LISTS
- Sophomore center fielder Michael Choice has been named a Southland Conference preseason first team All-Conference selection by league head coaches and SIDs. Choice was one of 12 first team selections that the Southland Conference announced when releasing its preseason first and second team lists. Choice was the only sophomore named to the first team. Choice was then named to the Baseball America and Rivals.com preseason All-Conference team, as both publications previewed the Southland Conference.
FIVE OPPONENTS RECEIVE TOP 25 STATUS
- Five of UT Arlington's opponents, all from the Big 12 South, have been ranked in a preseason Top 25 or Top 30 poll as Texas A&M, Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State all made an appearance in a preseason poll. UT Arlington's 2009 schedule includes 10 games against teams that appeared in last year's NCAA Tournament.
CHOICE NAMED TO WALLACE WATCH LIST
- After being named to five Freshman All-American lists in 2008, sophomore center fielder Michael Choice was named to the 2009 Preseason Brooks Wallace Player of the Year Watch List. The Wallace Award is presented annually to the nation's top collegiate baseball player.
THOMAS SEARCHING FOR WIN NO. 50
- After becoming the sixth head coach in Mavericks history prior to the start of the 2008 season, Darin Thomas followed with a 26-win season in his first campaign. Thomas will try to become the third head coach in UT Arlington history to collect win No. 50 in his second season at the helm. In fact, Thomas' 26 wins rank second all-time in school history for most wins in a first season as head coach.
The following is a list of UT Arlington head coaches and how long it took for them to reach win No. 50 and their overall record when reaching the milestone.
Head Coach Games Record at 50 wins
Jeff Curtis 94 50-44 (2nd season)
Clay Gould 94 50-44 (2nd season)
Fred Matthews 96 50-46 (3rd season)
Butch McBroom 107 50-57 (3rd season)
* Tom Beasley (16-34 record in two season as head coach)
TWENTY-ONE SENIORS BACK FOR 2009
- The UT Arlington baseball program not only returns 27 lettermen, they also have 21 seniors on their 2009 roster. The Mavericks have five players that are three-year lettermen and 22 players that joined the program last season. Of all the Mavericks opponents in 2009, only McNeese State has more than 23 returning lettermen, and just five opponents have at least 20 returning players.
MAVERICKS 19-22 ON OPENING DAY
- UT Arlington is 19-22 on Opening Day, including 10-8 in season-openers at home. Two of the Mavs season-openers (1979 & 2005) were on a neutral field. Last season the Mavericks posted the program's first shutout victory on opening day - also giving Darin Thomas a victory in his head coaching debut. The Mavericks 1-0 victory over Arkansas-Little Rock in 2008 marked the fastest opening day game (1 hour, 52 minutes) in UT Arlington history.
Since 2000, the Mavericks have won eight of their last 11 season openers at home, including three of the last four. The most consecutive season-openers the Mavericks have won is three (1981-83), while winning five of six openers from 1978-1983.
1969 @ Tarleton State L, 2-4
1970 vs. West Texas State L, 0-2
1971 vs. West Texas State W, 8-7
1972 @ TCU L, 0-1
1973 vs. Baylor L, 2-3
1974 vs. TCU L, 0-5
1975 vs. University of Plano L, 6-8
1976 vs. University of Plano W, 9-4
1977 vs. Baylor L, 1-2
1978 @ SMU W, 8-4
1979 * SMU W, 9-3
1980 @ TCU L, 7-10
1981 vs. TCU W, 4-3
1982 vs. Texas Tech W, 4-3
1983 @ Texas W, 10-6
1984 @ Rice L, 0-1
1985 @ Texas L, 0-13
1986 @ Texas L, 1-4
1987 @ Texas L, 2-7
1988 vs. Hardin-Simmons W, 14-1
1989 @ Lamar L, 4-7
1990 @ Texas A&M L, 2-3
1991 @ Houston L, 8-10
1992 vs. TCU W, 4-3
1993 vs. Louisiana Tech W, 2-1
1994 vs. TCU L, 7-8
1995 @ Texas A&M L, 3-7
1996 vs. Louisiana Tech L, 2-5
1997 @ Texas W, 9-4
1998 vs. TCU W, 9-6
1999 @ Texas L, 6-9
2000 @ Texas W, 3-1
2001 @ Arizona State W, 5-3
2002 vs. Centenary L, 0-6
2003 @ TCU W, 5-3
2004 @ Tulane L, 3-10
2005 * Texas A&M-Corpus Christi W, 5-4
2006 @ Louisiana Tech W, 7-2
2007 @ Texas L, 4-9
2008 vs. Arkansas-Little Rock W, 1-0
2009 vs. Arkansas State W, 5-4
SPEAKING OF SEASON OPENERS...
- A year ago, head coach Darin Thomas became the third UT Arlington head coach to win their coaching debut defeating Arkansas-Little Rock 1-0 on Friday, Feb. 22. Clay Gould (2000-2001) beat Texas 3-1 on Feb. 1, 2000 and Fred Matthews (1971-1973) defeated West Texas on Feb. 26, 1971.
2008 SEASON OPENER ONE TO REMEMBER
- The Mavericks' 1-0 victory over Arkansas-Little Rock was the first opening-day shutout win in the 40-year history of UT Arlington baseball. It was also the fastest opening-day contest at 1 hour and 52 minutes. It was the third 1-0 opening-day game in 24 years (1984 loss @ Rice - 1972 loss @ TCU). The Mavericks also defeated Oral Roberts 1-0 in the 1979 home opener.
MAVERICKS 27-14 IN HOME OPENERS
- The Mavericks are now 27-14 all-time in home openers. Since 2000, the Mavs are 7-3 in home openers, with three straight date back to 2007. Last season's 1-0 shutout over Arkansas-Little Rock marked the Mavericks fourth home-opener shutout, with the other most recent shutout coming in 2004 against TCU (11-0).
SUCCESS IN THE CLASSROOM
- Doubling the Mavs win total in his first season as head coach was not the only accomplishment Darin Thomas provided the UT Arlington baseball program in his first season. Thomas helped guide the Mavericks to two semesters of a team cumulative grade point average over a 3.0. A total of 20 baseball student-athletes received recognition on the UT Arlington Athletic Director's Honor Roll and 18 were named to the Capital One/Southland Conference Commissioner's Academic Honor Roll. The start of the 2008-09 school year was equally successful as 22 baseball student-athletes were named to the UT Arlington Academic Honor Roll and the Mavericks as a team registered a 3.183 team grade point average.
VICTORIES OVER TOP 10 OPPONENTS
- UT Arlington has posted 21 victories over teams that have been ranked in the top 10 in the nation at the time of the contest. The Mavs added to their total with a 16-8 victory over then-No. 7 Texas A&M in 2008 at Clay Gould Ballpark (May 13).
05/13/08 vs. #7 Texas A&M 16-8
04/11/06 @ #6 Texas 6-3
03/08/05 @ #9 Texas A&M 6-4
02/15/05 @ #8 Baylor 9-6
01/26/01 @ #6 Arizona State 5-3
02/19/94 vs. #6 Oklahoma State 6-4
04/06/93 vs. #2 Texas A&M 8-6
03/10/93 vs. #8 Oklahoma State 26-13
03/28/92 @ #5 Texas 5-4
02/21/89 @ #7 Texas 2-0
03/05/88 vs. #10 Oklahoma 5-4
03/06/88 vs. #10 Oklahoma 11-10
02/16/85 @ #3 Texas 14-13
02/17/85 @ #3 Texas 7-1
02/19/83 @ #1 Texas 10-6
02/20/83 @ #1 Texas 8-5
03/20/81 @ #5 Texas 6-1
02/27/76 vs. #7 Oral Roberts 6-4
02/27/76 vs. #7 Oral Roberts 5-3
02/28/76 vs. #7 Oral Roberts 9-1
02/20/76 @ #10 TCU 3-0
UTA SIGNS EIGHT PROSPECTS FOR 2010
- Head coach Darin Thomas announced that eight student-athletes signed National Letters of Intent and will play baseball for the Mavericks beginning in the 2010 season. The signing class includes five high school prospects and three junior-college student-athletes.