April 20, 2009
ARLINGTON, Texas -
The UT Arlington baseball program started the 2009 Major League Baseball season with 11 former players who are either currently in the big leagues, as a player, coach or manager, or are trying to reach the big leagues from the Double or Triple-A level.
Throughout the Major League season, UT Arlington sports information will provide weekly updates on former Mavericks competing in the major leagues and high minor league level.
Trey Hillman (Manager, Kansas City Royals), Dave Owen (3rd Base Coach - Kansas City Royals)
- Kansas City moved into a three-way tie for first place in the American League Central with a 7-5 record after winning four of six games last week. The Royals won a home series over the Cleveland Indians (2-of-3) and won the first two games of their three-game series at Texas over the weekend. The Royals have won with pitching this season while leading the big leagues with 111 strikeouts on the mound and they currently have the second-best ERA (3.14) in baseball.
Steve Foster (Bullpen Coach - Florida Marlins)
- Foster and the Florida Marlins are the hottest team in baseball with an MLB best 11-1 overall record. The Fish have won seven straight games and have a perfect 6-0 record on the road this season. The Marlins' success includes winning three one-run games without a loss.
Hunter Pence (Right Fielder - Houston Astros)
- Pence hit his third home run of the season this past week against the Pittsburgh Pirates on Apr. 16. Pence is now batting .302 this season with four runs scored, six RBI and six walks. Pence has recorded at least one base hit in nine of 12 games this season.
John Lackey (Starting Pitcher - Los Angeles Angels)
Mark Lowe (Relief Pitcher - Seattle Mariners)
- Lackey is continuing his rehabilitation on his way back into the starting rotation for the Angels. After suffering a right forearm strain late in Spring Training, Lackey threw a bullpen session on Saturday with pitching coach Mike Butcher that saw Lackey throw 15 warm-up pitches followed by two simulated innings. Lackey's next step will be an extended bullpen session on Tuesday.
- Lowe made three relief appearances last week for the Mariners, who are currently leading the American League West with an 8-5 record. He pitched a perfect inning in the Mariners' 11-3 win over the Angels on Wednesday and then struck out three Halos the following day in 1.1 innings of work. He ended his scoreless innings streak allowing one run against the Detroit Tigers on Sunday, giving Lowe a 1.69 ERA in 5.1 innings pitched this season.
Ryan Roberts (Utility Player - Arizona Diamondbacks)
- Roberts made three appearances this past week for the Diamondbacks. Roberts walked and scored in a pinch-hit at-bat during the seventh inning of Arizona's 7-6 walk-off win on Tuesday. He struck out in a pinch-hit at-bat on Wednesday and started at third base going 0-for-1 with a walk on Sunday against the San Francisco Giants. He is now 1-for-5 with two walks in seven games played this season.
Daniel Ortmeier (First Baseman - Colorado Rockies -Triple-A - Colorado Springs Sky Sox)
- Ortmeier ranks tied for eighth with a .375 batting average in the Pacific Coast League where he has started the year going 12-for-32 in eight games played. This past week, Ortmeier hit .368 with three multi-hit games. He also recorded five RBI and one double on the week. Ortmeier and the Sky Sox are currently in second place in the Pacific North Division with a 7-3 record.
Dillon Gee (Starting Pitcher - New York Mets - Triple-A - Buffalo Bisons)
- Gee made one appearance this past week throwing 5.0 innings against Scranton. Gee allowed four base hits with three strikeouts and issued three walks. Gee now owns a 4.66 ERA in 9.2 innings pitched this season. He has nine strikeouts and is allowing opponents to hit .263.
Adam Moore (Catcher - Seattle Mariners - Double-A - West Diamond Jaxx)
- Moore started and played in six games last week with a .285 batting average with two doubles and two RBI. His top performance last week was going 2-for-4 with two runs scored, two walks, a double and one RBI against Montgomery on Monday. Moore is now batting .265 this season with five runs scored, one home run and five RBI.
Matthew Sartor (Relief Pitcher - Los Angeles Dodgers - Double-A - Chattanooga Lookouts)
- Sartor has made three appearances this season for the Chattanooga Lookouts in the Southern League (Double-A). Sartor has thrown 8.2 innings and has allowed nine hits with eight strikeouts and one walk this season. Sartor is 0-1 with a 6.23 ERA.
source: MLB.com & MILB.com