April 21, 2009
ARLINGTON, Texas -
UT Arlington has won seven of its last 10 games and is coming off a three-game sweep over Central Arkansas. The Mavericks return home to host Northwood (NAIA) for a midweek contest at Clay Gould Ballpark in Arlington. Northwood has won five straight games and 16 of its last 18 overall. They are currently 13-2 in the Red River Conference.
INSIDE THE SERIES
Tuesday marks the eighth all-time meeting between UT Arlington and Northwood. All seven of the previous meetings came between 1989 and 1994. The Mavericks are 4-1 against the Knights in Arlington and they split the only two meetings in Cedar Hill. The Knights won the last matchup, 8-2, in Arlington on March 29, 1994.
UT ARLINGTON MAVERICKS
Overall Record: 22-17
Conference Record: 14-7
Last 5/Last 10: 4-1/7-3
Streak: Won 3
Rankings: BA: NR/CB: NR/NCBWA: NR/ESPN: NR
Head Coach: Darin Thomas
Career Record: 48-48 (2nd Year)
Record at UTA: 48-48 (2nd Year)
Overall Record: 30-16
Conference Record: 13-2
Last 5/Last 10: 5-0/8-2
Streak: Won 5
NAIA Top 25: Received Votes
Head Coach: Jeremy Kennedy
Career Record: 56-41 (2 years)
Record at NU: 56-41 (2 years)
First Pitch: Tuesday: 6:30 p.m.
Series History: UTA leads, 5-2
Last Meeting: NU defeated UTA, 8-2 (Arlington) 3/29/94
Stadium: Clay Gould Ballpark (Capacity: 1,600)
Dimensions: 330 (LF), 400 (CF), 330 (RF)
Live Stats: (GameTracker): www.utamavs.com
Press Box : (817) 462-4225
DayPitcher Cl. W-L ERA K/BB
Tues. Matt Otteman (RHP) Sr. 1-1 3.12 15/7
DayPitcher Cl. W-L ERA K/BB
Tues. Alberto Gutierrez (RHP) Sr. 7-2 5.18 58/23
KAINER ATTEMPTS TO BREAK ALL-TIME RECORD
- Less than a month ago Andrew Kainer's teammate, Matt Otteman, was looking to break the UTA all-time hitting streak record and now it is Kainer's turn to try and make history as he will look to become the first Maverick player ever to record a 27-game hit streak. Otteman recorded at least one base hit in the team's first 26 games this season before his streak ended at TCU on April 1, after going 0-for-3 with an intentional walk. The late Clay Gould set the all-time record when he became the first Maverick in school history to have a 26-game hit streak in 1993.
KAINER DURING 26-GAME HIT STREAK...
- Kainer's streak began on March 7, during game two of the Mavericks' first conference series at Sam Houston State. During his streak he has batted .449 (48-for-107) with 13 doubles, one home run (walk-off against McNeese State), six walks and 10 stolen bases. He has posted 16 multi-hit games during his streak, including five games with three or more hits. In fact, Kainer has five multi-hit games in his last six games played. In addition, Kainer's streak has spanned 28 games, due to Kainer not recording an official plate appearance during the Mavericks' 10-inning, 6-5 win over Nicholls on March 29. Kainer left the game in the bottom of the first inning after diving for a ball in the right-center field gap and left the game due to an injury. Kainer then sat out the Mavericks' next game on the road at TCU, the game that Otteman had his 26-game hit streak snapped.
- Matt Otteman's 26-game streak started Opening Day (Feb. 20) and ended after going 0-for-3 on April 1. Otteman batted .459 (50-for-109) with 10 doubles, four triples and four home runs during his streak. He notched 17 multi-hit games, including seven three-hit games, while also posting eight multiple RBI games. The final 14 games of Otteman's streak also saw the senior record at least one RBI.
- Andrew Kainer and Matt Otteman are only the third set of teammates in the nation (NCAA D-I) this season that have recorded a 20-game hit streak. Cal Poly and UT Martin also have teammates who have recorded 20-game streaks this season.
HASN'T HAPPENED SINCE 1994
- UT Arlington has swept two straight Southland Conference series, taking three from Nicholls (March 28-30) and sweeping their first ever meeting at Central Arkansas (April 17-19). The last time UT Arlington has swept back-to-back conference road series was in 1994 against Texas State and Louisiana-Monroe.
WIN OVER BAYLOR MARKS 22 OVER TOP 10 TEAMS
- UT Arlington has posted 22 victories over teams that have been ranked in the top 10 in the nation at the time of the contest. The Mavs added to their total with a 5-4 victory over Baylor (No. 7 - Baseball America) on Tuesday night at Clay Gould Ballpark. Last season, the Mavs grabbed a 16-8 victory over then-No. 7 Texas A&M at Clay Gould Ballpark (May 13).
04/14/09 vs. #7 Baylor 5-4
05/13/08 vs. #7 Texas A&M 16-8
04/11/06 @ #6 Texas 6-3
03/08/05 @ #9 Texas A&M 6-4
02/15/05 @ #8 Baylor 9-6
01/26/01 @ #6 Arizona State 5-3
02/19/94 vs. #6 Oklahoma State 6-4
04/06/93 vs. #2 Texas A&M 8-6
03/10/93 vs. #8 Oklahoma State 26-13
03/28/92 @ #5 Texas 5-4
02/21/89 @ #7 Texas 2-0
03/05/88 vs. #10 Oklahoma 5-4
03/06/88 vs. #10 Oklahoma 11-10
02/16/85 @ #3 Texas 14-13
02/17/85 @ #3 Texas 7-1
02/19/83 @ #1 Texas 10-6
02/20/83 @ #1 Texas 8-5
03/20/81 @ #5 Texas 6-1
02/27/76 vs. #7 Oral Roberts 6-4
02/27/76 vs. #7 Oral Roberts 5-3
02/28/76 vs. #7 Oral Roberts 9-1
02/20/76 @ #10 TCU 3-0
Michael Choice NAMED SLC HITTER OF THE WEEK
- Sophomore center fielder Michael Choice was named Southland Conference Hitter of the Week on Monday, giving him his second SLC hitter of the week award this season. Choice batted .526 with five extra-base hits, including a pair of two-run homers against Oral Roberts, and tallied six RBI and eight runs scored. Choice posted a 3-for-5 performance and a 4-for-5 game against McNeese State as he helped the Mavs to two victories and their fourth series win of the season. The selection is the fourth for the Mavericks this season - most for any team in the SLC - after Choice (twice), Nathan Long and Andy Sauter have been honored.
GOT TIME FOR ONE MORE?
- The Mavericks have played seven extra-inning games this season, recording a 4-3 record in games exceeding nine innings. All of the Mavericks' extra-inning games have been 10 inning games. UTA has defeated four conference opponents in extra-innings (UTSA, Northwestern State, McNeese State, Central Arkansas) and lost non-conference games to No. 4 Texas and Oral Roberts and fell 2-1 at home to McNeese State.The Mavericks played only one extra-inning game last season, defeating Texas State 6-5 in 10 innings in game-one of a three-game series.
ROBINSON: LEADER IN ERA DURING SLC PLAY
- Ryan Robinson remains the Southland Conference leader in ERA during conference competition. Robinson currently owns a 0.84 ERA in 32.0 conference innings on the mound. Robinson has made five appearances (3 starts) and is 3-0 against SLC opponents. Robinson also has 15 strikeouts and two walks while earning three conference wins.
FIRST TIME SINCE 1990...
- UT Arlington suffered a 1-0 shutout on Saturday, April 4, against Southeastern Louisiana and then blanked the Lions 9-0 on Sunday. It was the first time since UT Arlington's SLC championship season in 1990 that the Mavericks played in back-to-back shutout contests against the same opponent and picked up a win and a loss in the two games.
1-0 SHUTOUTS A RARE FOR MAVS AT HOME
- The Mavericks' 1-0 shutout loss against Southeastern Louisiana was their first shutout this season and their first time not scoring a run in 38 games dating back to last season's 3-0 loss at home against Nicholls. But what was even rarer was the Mavericks losing 1-0 at Clay Gould Ballpark. UT Arlington hadn't been shutout 1-0 at home since Louisiana Tech came in and knocked off the Mavericks 1-0 on March 15, 1986.
FEWEST RUNS ALLOWED IN AN SLC SERIES SINCE 2006
- UT Arlington limited Southeastern Louisiana to nine runs, marking the least amount of runs allowed by the Mavericks in a three-game Southland Conference series since holding Stephen F. Austin to just three runs in a road series, March 31-April 2, 2006. UTA knocked off SFA 6-0 in game one, 2-0 in game two and finished the sweep with a 5-3 win. UTA allowed Southeastern eight runs in the opener, one run in the second game and shut them out in the final game.
OTTEMAN'S STREAK: LONGEST IN NCAA TO START SEASON
- Matt Otteman had at least one base hit in all of the Mavericks' first 26 games this season, that streak ended on Wednesday, April 1, as Otteman went 0-for-3 with an intentional walk against No. 22 TCU in Fort Worth. The streak ties him with Louisiana Tech's Kevin Winn for the longest in the NCAA D-I to start the 2009 season. Otteman joins former UTA standout player and head coach Clay Gould with the all-time UTA record with a record 26-game hit streak. Gould set the record 16 years ago in 1993. Otteman batted .459 (50-for-109) during the 26-game streak that lasted during the opening 40 days of the season (Feb. 20-Apr.1), which spanned through three different months of the year.
LONG NAMED A NATIONAL PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- Senior Nathan Long was named a Louisville Slugger National Player of the Week by Collegiate Baseball Newspaper on Monday, March 30, after striking out 15 batters - the most by an SLC pitcher this season - against Nicholls last weekend in Thibodaux. Long's 15 strikeouts were one away from tying the school record that was set by Roger Lancaster in 1997 against UTSA. Long's efforts led the Mavs to a 7-2 win over Nicholls.
LONG GIVES THE MAVS 3 SLC PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
- Nathan Long was also named the Southland Conference Pitcher of the Week on Monday, March 30, after his 15 strikeout performance against Nicholls. It is the second straight week the Mavericks have had the SLC Pitcher of the Week.
LONG NAMED TO NATIONAL ALL-STAR LINEUP
- Nathan Long was named to the College Baseball Foundation National All-Star Lineup as one of the top 13 players - eight pitchers - from this past week. Long's 15 strikeout performance against Nicholls has earned him three awards this week.
UT ARLINGTON COLLECTS 1,100TH ALL-TIME WIN
- UT Arlington's 6-5 win in game one of the Mavs' doubleheader sweep over Nicholls was its program's 1,100th all-time win.
CHOICE VS. NATIONALLY-RANKED OPPONENTS
- Michael Choice is now batting .455 (15-for-33) against nationally-ranked teams this season. On April 1 he continued his success against the top-25 going 3-for-4 against No. 11 TCU in Fort Worth. In College Station, Choice went 2-for-3 with a double and RBI against No. 11 Texas A&M after going 3-for-5 with a run and RBI in the series finale against No. 25 Minnesota on March 18. Choice went 4-for-5 against No. 11 TCU on March 3 and went 2-for-5 against No. 4 Texas on Feb. 24 with three RBI, a game-tying double and go-ahead solo home run in the top of the 10th inning.
THE BEST IN THE METROPLEX
- Michael Choice has proved his ability to college baseball followers and fans in the Metroplex this season going 7-for-9 against cross-town rival TCU. Choice's .778 batting average against the nationally-ranked Horned Frogs came in a 4-for-5 effort in Arlington and a 3-for-4 outing at Lupton Stadium in Fort Worth.
SWEEPING THE NICHOLLS COLONELS
- The Mavs' three wins against Nicholls marks their first sweep over the Colonels in Thibodaux since 1999, and their first sweep over Nicholls since 2006 when they won three games in Arlington. UT Arlington has only swept Nicholls three times in their 19-year SLC history.
SWEEPING THEIR WAY TO WINS IN THE SLC
- The Mavericks swept Nicholls and Northwestern State in consecutive SLC series, marking the first time they have swept back-to-back SLC series since 2006. In 2006, the Mavs swept three straight conference opponents while winning nine straight SLC games.
LONG TIED FOR 7TH ON ALL-TIME K LIST
- Nathan Long's 10 strikeouts against Southeastern Louisiana gives him 185 for his career and moves him into a tie for 7th place all-time on the UTA career strikeout list with Doug Myres (1986-87). Lonnie Salyres (1970-73) is the all-time UTA career strikeout leader with 279.
CHOICE TURNS IT ON AGAINST BIG 12 OPPONENTS
- Michael Choice is now batting .405 (17-for-42) with five doubles, three home runs and 12 RBI against Big 12 opponents in 10 games during his brief career. He is now 6-for-7 in two career games against Texas A&M. In his first game against Texas A&M last season (May 13), Choice went 4-for-4 with two runs scored, a double, a three-run home run and tied a career-high with five RBI. This season, Choice went 2-for-3 with a double and one RBI against No. 11 Texas A&M in College Station. He also went 2-for-5 with a double, home run and three RBI against No. 4 Texas in Austin.
FIRST TIME SINCE 1996...
- The Mavericks shutout Northwestern State in games one and three of their three-game series, marking the first time since 1996 that UTA has shutout a conference opponent twice in a home series. In 1996, UTA tallied three shutouts at home against Sam Houston State (9-0, 7-0, 9-0). The last time the Mavs had two shutouts in a conference series came on the road in 2006 against Stephen F. Austin (Game 1: 6-0; Game 2: 2-0).
FIRST TIME IN OVER 25 YEARS...
- The Mavericks swept No. 25 Minnesota with a 6-2 win on Tuesday and a 12-5 win on Wednesday, marking the first time UT Arlington has swept a top 25 opponent in a series in over 25 years.
SAUTER NAMED SLC PITCHER OF THE WEEK
- Andy Sauter was named the Southland Conference Pitcher of the Week on Monday, March 23. Sauter received pitcher of the week honors after tossing his first career complete-game shutout, limiting Northwestern State to three base hits in the 1 hour, 55 minute game. The Demons had six base runners during the contest, none of which advanced past first base. Sauter struck out six batters and walked one in the victory.
TOUGH AT THE PLATE WITH 2 OUTS
- Through 39 games, UT Arlington has 236 RBI - with 120 RBI coming with two outs. Matt Otteman leads the team with 22 two-out RBI, with Michael Choice (20), Chad Comer (15) and Andrew Kainer (15) close behind. With 2 outs, Otteman is batting .481 (26-for-54) and Choice is hitting .375 (24-for-64) with two outs. The Mavs are batting .327 with runners in scoring position and hitting .322 with two outs.
WELCOME TO CLAY GOULD BALLPARK!
- The Mavs have dominated their opponents at home this season, as UTA has posted an 14-6 record with a .338 batting average and 2.97 ERA. UTA has out hit its opponents 238-170 and has 61 extra-base hits while opposing teams have 31. The UTA pitching staff has enjoyed success at home allowing opponents to hit just .254. Two of the Mavs top pitchers at home have been Rett Varner (2-0, 0.79 ERA, 22.2 IP) and Ryan Robinson (1-1, 2.57 ERA, 21.0 IP, 11 K).
NO UGLY WINS THIS SEASON
- In 22 wins this season, UTA has dismantled its opponents with a .336 batting average compared to its opponents .257 average, and the Mavs' 2.77 ERA is significantly lower than a 7.15 ERA that opposing teams have recorded. Maverick hitters have tallied 74 extra-base hits compared their opponents 37.
CHOICE NAMED SLC HITTER OF THE WEEK
- Mavericks center fielder Michael Choice was named the Southland Conference Hitter of the Week after the first week of the season on Feb. 24. Choice started the season batting .529 (9-for-17) with a double, triple, home run and nine RBI to help the Mavs go 3-1. Choice went 1-for-3 on Opening Day with a three-run home run that helped the Mavs rally to a 5-4 victory over Arkansas State. In the final game of the week, Choice led all players going 4-for-5 with four RBI against Siena.
CHOICE NAMED TO SLC PRESEASON LISTS
- Sophomore center fielder Michael Choice has been named a Southland Conference preseason first team All-Conference selection by league head coaches and SIDs. Choice was one of 12 first team selections that the Southland Conference announced when releasing its preseason first and second team lists. Choice was the only sophomore named to the first team. Choice was then named to the Baseball America and Rivals.com preseason All-Conference team, as both publications previewed the Southland Conference.
CHOICE NAMED TO WALLACE WATCH LIST
- After being named to five Freshman All-American lists in 2008, sophomore center fielder Michael Choice was named to the 2009 Preseason Brooks Wallace Player of the Year Watch List. The Wallace Award is presented annually to the nation's top collegiate player.
THOMAS SEARCHING FOR WIN NO. 50
- After becoming the sixth head coach in Mavericks history prior to the start of the 2008 season, Darin Thomas followed with a 26-win season in his first campaign. Thomas will try to become the third head coach in UT Arlington history to collect win No. 50 in his second season at the helm. In fact, Thomas' 26 wins rank second all-time in school history for most wins in a first season as head coach.
The following is a list of UT Arlington head coaches and how long it took for them to reach win No. 50 and their overall record when reaching the milestone.
Head Coach Games Record at 50 wins
Jeff Curtis 94 50-44 (2nd season)
Clay Gould 94 50-44 (2nd season)
Fred Matthews 96 50-46 (3rd season)
Butch McBroom 107 50-57 (3rd season)
* Tom Beasley (16-34 record in two season as head coach)
SUCCESS IN THE CLASSROOM
- Doubling the Mavs win total in his first season as head coach was not the only accomplishment Darin Thomas provided the UTA baseball program in his first season. Thomas helped guide the Mavs to two semesters of a team cumulative grade point average over a 3.0. A total of 20 baseball student-athletes received recognition on the UTA Athletic Director's Honor Roll and 18 were named to the Capital One/Southland Conference Commissioner's Academic Honor Roll. The start of the 2008-09 school year was equally successful as 22 student-athletes were named to the UTA Academic Honor Roll and the Mavs as a team had a 3.183 team GPA.
BSB: Darin Thomas Named Sun Belt Coach of the Year
BSB: Mavs Earn No. 2 Seed in Sun Belt Championship
BSB: Texas State Claims Series Finale in 10
BSB: Mavs Clinch Sun Belt Western Division
BSB: Salinas Collects Four Hits in Series-Opening Loss
BSB: Mavs Travel to Texas State in Quest of Title