ARLINGTON, Texas -- UTA completed a historic baseball season in 2017 with the first Sun Belt Western Division Championship in school history with a program best 20-10 record in league play.
Final Season Notes
- UTA finished the season 30-25, including a program record 20-10 in conference play.
- The Mavs set a program record with a 17-8 road mark, including a school-record 12-3 record in road conference games.
- UTA moved into the top-25 poll for two consecutive weeks, ranking as high as No. 23 by Collegiate Baseball. It marked UTA's first national ranking since 2001.
- UTA won 10 consecutive league games, tying the school record, also set in 1992, 2006, 2014 and 2017.
- UTA won its first western division title in its brief history in the Sun Belt.
- The Mavs reached 30 wins for the 25th time in program history and the sixth time under Coach Darin Thomas.
- UTA won 30 or more games for the second consecutive year, a first since 2013-14.
- The Mavs swept No. 20 Louisiana, the first sweep over the Ragin' Cajuns in program history and UTA's first series win over ULL since 1976.
- UTA set a new program record with a 5-4 record vs. top-25 teams, the most wins in a season over ranked teams in school history.
- The Mavs earned ranked midweek wins over No. 4 Texas Tech and No. 23 Texas A&M.
- UTA boasted two of the top attendances in school history, including setting a new Clay Gould Stadium record with 2,008 fans vs. No. 1 TCU on Feb. 21.
- The Mavs had the second-most saves in single-season history (18).
- After starting 2-7 to open the year, UTA went 28-18 over the last three months of the year.
- UTA ranks as the third most successful program in Sun Belt Conference play since joining the league in 2014. Overall, UTA has the fourth-most wins of any team in the league since 2014.
- UTA is 108-3 over the last four years when holding an eighth-inning lead, including 30-1 in 2017.
- Coach Darin Thomas was named Sun Belt Conference Coach of the Year, the first UTA skipper honored since Butch McBroom in 1992.
- Thomas has the best conference coaching record in program history (.562), ranking just behind McBroom with a .514 overall winning percentage.
- Junior 1B/DH Omar Salinas was tabbed first-team All-Sun Belt Conference.
- Sophomore C/DH Will Olson was named second-team All-Sun Belt.
- Junior RHP Trae Patterson was named second-team All-Sun Belt Conference as a starting pitcher.
- Junior LHP Jakob Hernandez earned second-team All-Sun Belt honors.
- Junior RHP Daniel James was tabbed second-team All-Sun Belt Conference.
- Junior RHP Daniel James saved the second-most games (13) in UTA single-season history.
- James finished a save shy of the single-season record, held by Jason Watkins (1992).
- With 16 saves, James ranks tied for fourth in UTA career history, equaling David Sobczak (1996-98).
- Sophomore OF/1B Noah Vaughan stole a team-leading 11 bases, the most for a UTA player since Ryan Walker stole 14 in 2012.
- Junior 1B/DH Omar Salinas belted a team-leading 11 homers, the most for a UTA slugger since Greg McCall hit 11 in 2014.
- Salinas hit the eighth most homers in single-season history.
- Salinas had three games with two homers.
- Senior RHP Austin Gardner appeared in a club-best 29 games, the seventh most in UTA single-season history.
- Junior LHP Jakob Hernandez struck out 89, the most for a UTA pitcher since 2010.
- Senior OF/IF Quintin Rohrbaugh was hit by 14 pitches in 2017, the second-most in school single-season history.
- Junior IF/OF RJ Williams has been hit by 23 pitches, the sixth-most in UTA career history.