MBB: Mavs fall 55-52 to LA Tech

Jamel Outler scored 12in Saturday's loss against LA Tech.

Jan. 5, 2013

Final Stats /  Photo Gallery

ARLINGTON, Texas – UT Arlington let a 10-point second half lead slip away and dropped its third consecutive game Saturday night losing 55-52 to Louisiana Tech at College Park Center.

The Mavericks, up 43-33 with less than 10 minutes remaining, dropped to 6-6 overall and 1-2 in the Western Athletic Conference. 

"It's frustrating to lose another one at home," UT Arlington coach Scott Cross said. "I'm not upset with our guys. I thought they battled and played hard. Unfortunately it didn’t go our way and we have to look for the lesson and see what it is. We have to go out on the road and win on the road."

Sophomore guard Jamel Outler led UT Arlington with 12 points off the bench. Junior forward Brandon Edwards had a season-high 15 rebounds, while junior forward Greg Gainey grabbed eight boards.

Alex Hamilton had 14 points for LA Tech, which improved to 12-3 and 3-0. 

The Mavs had an opportunity to tie the game down three with 7.8 seconds to go but Outler's attempt would fall short on a questionable non-call from the officials, according to Cross. The Mavericks were whistled for a foul on a LA Tech 3-point attempt on the previous trip down the court.  

"It's clear as day to me," Cross said. "He called the same thing at the other end. The call he made for them is less of a foul than what they didn’t call for us. It's unfortunate. You would think at your home court you would get some of those to go your way and even their coach agreed that it was a foul when we spoke after the game."

The Bulldogs won despite being held to 28.4-percent shooting. The Mavericks shot 33.3 percent and committed 23 turnovers.

UT Arlington concluded its four-game homestand at 1-3. The Mavericks are off until the start of a two-game WAC road trip Thursday at UTSA. UTA is at Texas State on Jan. 12.

The Mavericks used a high-paced energy from tip off to jump off to an early lead. After giving up the opening bucket, UTA scored eight consecutive points and led for the first time since early in its game against Denver on Dec. 31. Drew Charles added onto Kevin Butler's early four points by scoring the next three buckets for the Mavs, including a 3-pointer late in the shot clock.

However, the Bulldogs would rally with eight minutes left in the half. LA Tech scored nine of the game's next 13 points to pull ahead 23-22. UTA responded right back by scoring the final six points of the half, including a fade-away 3-pointer at the buzzer to give the Mavericks 28-23 lead.

Coming out of the break the Mavericks scored the first six points of the half to extend its lead to 10 . The teams would then match each other shot-for-shot before Shaquille White-Miller hit a 3-pointer to force a LA Tech timeout. Out of the break, the Bulldogs would make their run.

The Bulldogs extended its press back to full-court and forced UTA into two turnovers and tough shots. LA Tech capitalized on the Mavs' missed opportunities and ripped off a 10-0 run. Hitting 4-of-5 free throws, the Bulldogs pulled ahead and would not relinquish their lead.  




  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago