MBB: UT Arlington 86, UTRGV 65
Dec. 16, 2017
UT Arlington 86 at UTRGV 65
UT Arlington 86 at UTRGV 65
Saturday, December 16, 2017 Edinburg, Texas
- With the victory, UTA improves to 8-3 on the season. The loss drops UTRGV to 6-7.
- Kevin Hervey scored 30 points with 16 rebounds at UTRGV, his 29th career double-double and the fourth of the season. He tied Paul Renfro (1976-80) for the most career double-doubles in program history.
- Hervey scored a season high 30 points at UTRGV, marking the eighth time this season he surpassed 20 points and the 27th time in his career.
- Hervey grabbed 16 rebounds at UTRGV, setting a career high. His previous career best was 15 four times during his career. His season best was 11 against Rice.
- In his first start of the season, DJ Bryant set a career high with 8 assists. His previous career best was 4 against St. Francis last season. His previous season high was 3 in the season opener against Loyola Marymount.
- Nathan Hawkins hit a career high-tying 4 3-point field goals at UTRGV en route to a season-high 16 points. His previous season high for 3-pointers was 3 at BYU. He made 4 against Bradley on Dec. 8, 2015. His previous scoring high this season was 11 at BYU and against Western Carolina. He fell just one point sjy of his career scoring high of 17 against Bradley.
- Kaelon Wilson scored 21 points at URTGV, falling just one point shy of his season and career high of 22 points against Niagara.
- Julian Harris scored 5 points with a season-high 6 rebounds at UTRGV. His rebound total was just one shy of a career-high. His previous career-best is a 7 rebound effort against Sul Ross on Dec. 21, 2015. His season-high was 5 against UT Dallas on Nov. 27.
- UTA remains on the road Monday with an 8 p.m. contest at 25th ranked Creighton. The game will be televised live nationally on FS1.
- Following the Creighton game, UTA returns to College Park Center Thursday, Dec. 21 for a 7 p.m. (CST) tipoff against Cal Poly.
- UTRGV travels to Stillwater, Okla. for a 12 Noon (CST) contest on Dec. 22 at Oklahoma State.
- Spotted at the UTA at UTRGV game was UTA cross country/track & field standout Michael Guerrero, a native of nearby Mission, Texas.
- UTA's 86-65 victory handed the Mavericks a victory in the first meeting between the two programs since UTRGV was created in 2015. The win also marked the seventh straight over the institution, formerly known as UT Pan American.
MBB: Hervey named first team NABC all-district
MBB: Mavericks' season ends with title game setback
MBB: Clutch plays lead UTA to Sun Belt semifinal win
MBB: Neal's offensive masterclass paces UTA to victory
MBB: Mavericks prepared for SBC Championships
MBB: Neal found basketball as a path for life