May 6, 2013
ARLINGTON, Texas – UT Arlington senior and Western Athletic Conference champion Paul McConnell is competing in the 2013 NCAA Fayetteville Regional May 16-18 at the Blessings Golf Club in Fayetteville, Ark., it was announced late Monday by the NCAA Division I Men’s Golf Committee.
"I feel great," McConnell said of the opportunity to compete at Arkansas. "My dad went there, so he'll enjoy watching me play. Coach Rees is very excited as well.
"I played the course before and it fits my game well because it's very tough off the tee and par is a great score out there.
McConnell and UT Arlington coach Jay Rees have several ties to the University of Arkansas. In addition to McConnell's father graduating from Arkansas, Razorbacks golf coach Brad McMakin was the best man at Rees' wedding.
"This regional has a personal thread for me and a family thread for Paul," Rees said. "We can take our van to Arkansas. Paul has some previous course knowledge and understands that it's an extremely demanding course.
"It's a positive that he's played the course before. It's a positive in a lot of different ways."
Six 54-hole regional tournaments will be conducted May 16-18. Thirteen teams and ten individuals not on those teams will compete at each of three regionals while the other three regionals will have 14 teams and five individuals not on those teams. The low five teams and the low individual not on those teams from each regional will advance to the finals.
The finals will be conducted May 28-June 2, at The Capital City Club, Crabapple Course in Atlanta, Georgia. Georgia Institute of Technology is the host institution for this year’s championships.
NCAA REGIONAL TOURNAMENT FORMAT
- Format is 54 holes of stroke play. Four scores per round count toward each team’s total.
- One round will be contested each day.
- Top five teams and top two individuals (not associated with an advancing team) advance to the NCAA Championship
Fayetteville Regional Teams (seeded in the following order):
1. Texas [Big 12 Conference]
3. Oklahoma State
5. Kent State [Mid-American Conference]
6. Illinois [Big Ten Conference]
12. North Carolina-Wilmington [Colonial Athletic Association]
13. UMKC [The Summit League]
14. Alabama State [Southwestern Athletic Conference]
Fayetteville Regional Individuals:
1. Chris Gilbert, Kansas
2. Mitchell McLeroy, Stephen F. Austin
3. Pep Angles, Central Arkansas
4. Patrick Newcomb, Murray State
5. Paul McConnell, Texas-Arlington
BLESSINGS COURSE INFORMATION
Location: Fayetteville, Ark.
Fairway/Rough Grass: Zoysia
Greens: Bent grass
Designer: Robert Trent Jones Jr.
Championship History: 2012 SEC Women’s Championship
MG: Confident Mavs hit stride into SBC Championship
MG: Rain washes final day at Jim West
MG: Mavs take on Jim West before SBC Championships
MG: Guanlao's career finish lifts Mavs to 3rd
GOLF: Guanlao posts flawless first round in Little Rock
MG: Mavs ride momentum to Little Rock