Feb. 4, 2008
ARLINGTON, Texas - UT Arlington men's tennis dropped its conference opener, 6-1, to Nicholls State at the UTA Tennis Center on Monday. The Mavs fall to 1-3 on the season and 0-1 on Southland Conference action.
Sophomore Dmitry Minkin picked up his first singles win of the season 6-3, 7-5 in the No. 2 position to score the Mavs lone point of the match. He also teamed up with fellow sophomore Gonzalo Bienzobas in the No. 3 doubles match to win 8-2 over Alex Gasca-Silav and Sami Mouline.
The Mavericks will continue their tough schedule as they travel to Ft. Worth on Wednesday for a meeting with No. 63 TCU. It will be UTA's fifth duel match in two weeks and its third against a ranked opponent.
1. Radu Ionescu (NSUM) def. David Costa (UTA-M) 6-7, 6-0, 10-8
2. Dmitry Minkin (UTA-M) def. Vlad Popa (NSUM) 6-3, 7-5
3. Eric Fisher (NSUM) def. Brieuc Hamon (UTA-M) 6-1, 6-4
4. Phenyo Matong (NSUM) def. Hugo Taracido (UTA-M) 6-1, 4-6, 5-6, retired
5. Sami Mouline (NSUM) def. Gonzalo Bienzobas (UTA-M) 1-6, 7-5, 6-2
6. Chris Hernannez (NSUM) def. Nishant Hari (UTA-M) 6-4, 6-4
1. Ionescu/Popa (NSUM) def. Costa/Taracido (UTA-M) 8-6
2. Fisher/Matong (NSUM) def. Hamon/Hari (UTA-M) 8-4
3. Minkin/Bienzobas (UTA-M) def. Alex Gasca-Silav/Mouline (NSUM) 8-2
TN: Season success honored by conference
TN: Mavs set for SBC Championship tourney
TN: SBC releases Championship bracket
TN: UTA closes regular season with pair of matches
MT: UTA celebrates Senior Day with sweep
TN: Men celebrate seniors, women host SBC pod