Feb. 21, 2013
AUSTIN, Texas—No. 15 Texas shutout UT Arlington men’s tennis 7-0 Thursday, Feb. 21 at the Penick-Allison Tennis Center.
“We played regular in doubles and I thought we were much more intense in singles,” UT Arlington coach Diego Benitez said. “Some matches were close, but the depth of the lineup was tough to overcome.”
The Longhorns started string winning all three doubles and headed into singles competition with a 1-0 lead over the Mavericks.
Soren Goritzka was the first Maverick to be eliminated from singles competition as the senior loss a quick battle at the No. 2 position to Sudanwa Sitaram (6-1, 6-10).
Freshman Marek Pesicka was shutout on the first set, but fought hard in the second set to keep the score close, but ultimately fell 6-0, 7-5 at the No. 4 position.
Sophomore Stefan Williams won his first set at the No. 6 spot against UT’s Jacoby Lewis, but Lewis fought back to take the match as the Mavs lost 7-0.
The men are back on the court Friday, March 1 in Las Cruces, New Mexico as the Mavericks take on Western New Mexico at 2 p.m. CST.
Texas 7, UT Arlington 0
1. Nick Naumann (UT) def. Yauheni Yakauleu (UTA) - 6-3, 6-1
2. Sudanwa Sitaram (UT) def. Soren Goritzka (UTA) - 6-1, 6-1
3. Andrew Korinek (UT) def. Sebastian Erimicioiu (UTA) - 6-1, 6-2
4. Joey Swaysland (UT) def. Marek Pesicka (UTA) - 6-0, 7-5
5. David Holiner (UT) def. Carlos Arbiza (UTA) - 6-3, 6-1
6. Jacoby Lewis (UT) def. Stefan Williams (UTA) - 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
1. Jacoby Lewis / Sudanwa Sitaram (UT) def. Soren Goritzka / Sebastian Gomez (UTA) - 8-1
2. Ben Chen / Daniel Whitehead (UT) def. Yauheni Yakauleu / Carlos Arbiza (UTA) - 8-1
3. Nick Naumann / Joey Swaysland (UT) def. Marek Pesicka / Sebastian Erimicioiu (UTA) - 8-3
ORDER OF FINISH
* - clinching point