March 18, 2003
ARLINGTON, Texas ...The University of Texas at Arlington's men's tennis team continued its unbeaten record in Southland Conference play with a 7-0 victory over Centenary College, an associate member of the conference in men's tennis. The victory improved UTA's overall record to 6-5 on the season, including a 3-0 mark in SLC action.
The Mavericks won all six singles matches in straight sets. UTA's No. 1 singles player, Nathan McGregor, defeated the Gents' Nathan Bridges 6-2, 6-0. David Corrie defeated Caleb Ashley 6-1, 6-3 in the second slot and Javier Carrillo beat Brian Roberts 6-1, 6-0. The Mavericks were just as successful in the bottom half of the order as they were in the top half. In the fourth position, Niels Buksik defeated Charlie Matter 6-1, 6-0, while Ian Vazquez defeated Josh Pinto 6-1, 6-1 at No. 5 and Alon Goldshuv stepped into the sixth position to defeat Arthur Okura 6-1, 6-2.
On the doubles courts, UTA's McGregor and Vazquez teamed to defeat Bridges and Roberts 8-2, Corrie and Buksik handed Ahsley and Pinto an 8-1 loss and Carrillo and Vazquez completed the sweep with an 8-2 victory over Matter and Kyle Khoury to give the Mavericks the doubles point.
UTA returns to action March 21 against Columbia at 11 a.m. at the UTA Tennis Center
1. Nathan McGregor (UTA) def. Nathan Bridges (CC) 6-2, 6-0
2. David Corrie (UTA) def. Caleb Ashley (CC) 6-1, 6-3
3. Javier Carrillo (UTA) def. Brian Roberts (CC) 6-1, 6-0
4. Niels Buksik (UTA) def. Charlie Matter (CC) 6-1, 6-0
5. Ian Vazquez (UTA) def. Josh Pinto (CC) 6-1, 6-1
6. Alon Goldshuv (UTA) def. Arthur Okura (CC) 6-1, 6-2
1. McGregor/Vazquez (UTA) def. Bridges/Roberts (CC) 8-2
2. Corrie/Buksik (UTA) def. Ashley/Pinto (CC) 8-1
3. Carrillo/Goldshuv (UTA) def. Matter/Kyle Khoury (CC) 8-2
MT: UTA claims 6th win in a row
MT: Mavs make it 5 straight over TAMU-CC
MT: Mavs get best of Aggies on Sunday
MT: UTA remains perfect on home court
MT: Mavs sweep doubleheader in home opener
MT: Owls hold off charging Mavs in season opener