MAVERICKS OPEN CONFERENCE ACTION AT HOME AGAINST TEXAS STATE
Feb. 23, 2009
Arlington, Texas -
UT ARLINGTON VS. TEXAS STATE
SERIES INFO VS. BOBCATS
SCOUTING THE BOBCATS
- Against Northern Iowa, the Bobcats finished the game with three runs on nine hits, while committing zero errors. The Bobcats held the Panthers to four hits and zero runs.
- Chandler Hall was the winning pitcher of the game earning her fourth win. Hall served up 71 strikes, four strikeouts and zero runs.
- Leading the offensive attack for the Bobcats is Leah Boatright with a .304 batting average, collecting 14 hits and driving in 10 RBI.
- On the mound, Hall (2.37 ERA) and Katie Garnett (3.55) split time as both combine for 60 strikeouts.
RECAP OF UT ARLINGTON INVITATIONAL
Game One (UTA 2, UMKC 1)
- Offensively, the Mavericks were led by Rebecca Collom who drove in the winning run with a double to left center. Collom went 1-for-3 with three RBI.
- After scoring in the bottom of the third inning, UT Arlington held the Kangaroos scoreless through the final four innings.
Game Two (UTA 1, HBU 6)
- UT Arlington's only run came in the sixth inning on two hits by Collom and Samantha Chumchal. Kaiser who pitch ran for Collom came around to score after Chumchal singled.
Game Three (UTA 5, UTM 3)
- Hulme knotted her record to 3-3 on the season, pitching 8.0 innings, allowing three runs on four hits and sitting down three.
- The Mavs sent the game into extra innings after pinch hitter Erica LeFlore poked a single to left center, scoring the tying run and sending the game into extra innings.
- With a base runner placed at second base for both teams, the Mavericks stepped up their defense in the top of the eighth inning holding off the Skyhawks. UT Arlington on the other hand found themselves in a great position as UTA's first batter Courtney Zinc grounded out to the pitcher, advancing Washington to third base. With one out and runner on third base, Collom stroked a pitch over the left field fence lifting the Mavs over the Skyhawks.
- Collom led the Mavs offensively, finishing 2-for-3 with three RBI, including two doubles and a homerun.
Game Four (UTA 9, TXSO 1)
- A three-run blast by Brittany Washington and a Courtney Enocken solo shot led to a six run fourth inning by the Mavericks.
- Simpson added to the home run rally with a solo shot of her own in the bottom of the fifth frame to close out the game.
- Fortenberry picked up the win, pitching 5.0 innings while only allowing two hits and striking out nine. Offensively the Mavs were led by Collom who went 2-for-3 while Washington went 1-for-3 with three RBI and two runs scored.
Game Five (UTA 1, HBU 2)
- The Mavs rallied together in the bottom half of the inning, connecting on a run on two hits. With one out, junior Brittany Washington connected on a double to right center and scored following a single by newcomer Courtney Zink. Heather Fortenberry who already had two hits (double and single) was unable to score Zink from second as she ended the inning with a slow ground ball to second base.
- UT Arlington had a final chance to tie the game in the seventh inning when Samantha Chumchal led off with a walk. Two quick lineup changes were made by Head Coach Debbie Hederick, as Lissette Lopez pinch ran for Chumchal and Erica LeFlore came in to pinch hit for Enocksen who was 0-for-2 on the day. LeFlore advanced Lopez to second on a sacrifice bunt but Whitney Simpson gave the Mavs another out with a strikeout. With two outs, Charne Office ended the game with a lazy fly ball to the first baseman.
- Zink went 2-for-3 with a RBI while Fortenberry also collected a pair of hits, including a double.