March 22, 2003
The University of Texas at Arlington's women's tennis team continued its winning ways Saturday with a 6-1 victory over Lamar in a Southland Conference match in Beaumont. The victory, which was the Mavericks' 43rd straight regulars season SLC victory, improved UTA's record to 6-4 overall and 4-0 in the SLC.
As it has all season long, UTA was playing without a full lineup, and was forced to forfeit matches at No. 6 singles and No. 3 doubles, as UTA did not field players at those positions. Those two matches were the only matches that UTA did not win on Saturday.
The Mavericks took the doubles point as Annemarie Lenze and Anete Rozkalne shut out Lamar's No. 1 tandem of Catalina Paz and Kendall Gibbs 8-0 and Ella Goldshuv and Jitka Vetrovcova defeated Elena Korbout and Nicole Weber in a closely contested 8-6 battle in the second position.
The Mavericks won all five singles matches that were played in straight sets. Lenze defeated Paz 6-2, 6-0 at the No. 1 slot, while Rozkalne handed Korbout a 6-3, 6-1 loss in the second position. At No. 3, Goldshuv beat Weber 6-3, 6-4; Vetrovcova defated Gibbs 6-3, 6-1 in the fourth slot; and Gretel Hach defeated Jamie Mugg 6-2, 6-1 in the No. 5 position.
1. Annemarie Lenze (UTA) def. Catalina Paz (LU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Anete Rozkalne (UTA) def. Elena Korbout (LU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Ella Goldshuv (UTA) def. Nicole Weber (LU) 6-3, 6-4
Jitka Vetrovcova (UTA) def. Kendall Gibbs (LU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Gretel Hach (UTA) def. Jamie Mugg (LU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Michelle Wolfe (LU) won by default (no opponent)
1. Lenze/Rozkalne (UTA) def. Paz/Gibbs (LU) 8-0
2. Goldshuv/Vetrovcova (UTA) def. Korbout/Weber (LU) 8-6
3. Mugg/Reagan (LU) won by default (no opponent)