WT: Mavs defeat cross-town rival SMU 4-3
April 6, 2012
ARLINGTON, Texas - The women's tennis team defeated cross-town rivals SMU 4-3 Thursday afternoon at the Arlington Tennis Center.
"This is a great win for us," UT Arlington head coach Diego Benitez said. "The doubles point was huge, we are down 7-4 in the deciding match and our girls came back in a dramatic way to take the win in a tiebreaker."
The Mavericks improve to 11-7 overall and maintain a 6-2 Southland Conference record, while the Mustangs have lost seven in a row.
"SMU is a great tennis program, which has been ranked in the top 20 for the last few years. This win gives us great confidence, which will come in handy in the upcoming conference matches," Benitez said.
UT Arlington has won three matches in a row and hope to continue its winning streaking as they take on the Southeastern Louisiana Lions Friday at 11 a.m. at the UTA Tennis Center.
UT Arlington 4, SMU 3
1. Edyta Cieplucha (SMU) def. Maria Martinez-Romer (UTA) 6-7, 6-4, 6-4
2. Elena Fayner (SMU) def. Verena Scott (UTA) 6-2, 6-3
3. Heather Steinbauer (SMU) def. Natalia Mayuk (UTA) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
4. Giada D'ortona (UTA) def. Ashley Turpin (SMU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
5. Nikola Matovicova (UTA) def. Kris Roberts (SMU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Christine Foote (UTA) def. Perri Anderson (SMU) 6-3, 6-3
1. Edyta Cieplucha/Heather Steinbauer (SMU) def. Maria Martinez-Romer/Nikola Matovicova (UTA) 8-4
2. Giada D'ortona/Natalia Mayuk (UTA) def. Elena Fayner/Kris Roberts (SMU) 9-8
3. Verena Scott/Christine Foote (UTA) def. Erika Marschall/Perri Anderson (SMU) 8-4